Valentine Cookie Ideas with Existing Cutters
As January slowly comes to an end, it might be a little late to come up with more Valentine cookie cutter options. However, it's never too late to repurpose existing cookie cutters! Maybe you might already have a few of these cutters from the past year. Before I move on to the next holiday (Speaking of which, don't you wish time would slow down just a little, especially on the weekends?), I wanted to squeeze in just a few more Valentine cookie ideas for you to try. Here are some fun and easy Valentine-themed gifts you can whip up using a few of my existing cookie cutters.
Hugs & Kisses XO Valentine Cookie Set
Do you recognize the cutter shape of these cookies from this previous Christmas season?
These "hugs & kisses" cookies, or XO for short, were made using the Ho Ho Ho cookie cutter from the past holiday. Luckily, the H and the X letters are easily interchangeable. For this set, I should note, there is one thing I did differently while decorating. I first painted the surface of the cookie with white icing to mask any exposed cookie with the new X letter substitution.
For an alternative option, try subbing one of the "O"s with a pair of kissing lips. It really adds some fun and flirty flair to the gift set. The addition of the kissing lips was inspired by Kelly's Cookie Art when I saw she had the same idea on Instagram recently. You're a genius, Kelly!
Template for the XO Valentine Cookie Set
If you would like to try your hand at this set, I made a template of the design to help guide you. The template has both the regular XO design, as well as the design with the kissing lips.
You can download the XO cookie template HERE.
If you have a Kopykake or Pico projector, just print it out (or pull it up on your mobile device) and you are good to go. For those without a projector, I suggest cutting up the paper print out, and tracing the design onto the cookie with an edible food marker.
Valentine Cookie Minis
For the longest time, I use to avoid making mini cookies, thinking they were tedious to decorate. However, I've recently changed my tune and I love them now! The mini size just adds an extra factor of cuteness to the cookie. Plus, they are bite-sized-- perfect for sharing with others, or enjoying some and saving the rest for later.
Fore these Valentine cookie mini sets, I mixed-and-matched 3 of my existing cookie cutters.
- Square Cookie Cutter - These are perfect, blank canvases for any design. I used them as separate cookies for the L-O-V-E letters and the words "You" and "Me".
- Ampersand Cookie Cutter - This is a mini version of one of my most popular cookie cutters. I used it as an accent cookie between the "You" & "Me".
- Chunky Heart Cookie Cutter - These little heart fatties are the perfect accent to mix into any mini set, or create a whole set of these hearts alone.
All the mini cookies were placed in these mini cookie bags. They are 12" long and have a width of 2.5". I tied the end up with a decorative ribbon, but these bags can be heat sealed, as well.
For the fonts I used on the minis above, you can find them listed below:
- Circus - I used modified version this vintage carnival font for the L-O-V-E letters. The font itself has intricate, tiny details, which I disregarded. I simplified the outline and added just a few accent dots of icing.
- Lolly Script - This font isn't free, but totally worth the money. It's one of my favorite script fonts that I keep going back to. For a free alternative, Magnolia Sky is a nice option that's just as beautiful.
If you like the idea of minis, let me know. I'll try to incorporate more ideas in the coming holidays. I hope everyone has a great start to the week!